Sunday, February 8, 2015

DIY Etched Olive Oil Bottle

Years ago, I bought quite a few pour spouts to add to reused wine bottles in my kitchen. I found it handy to have some olive oil and some vegetable oil next to the stove. I don't remember exactly where I got them, but they look similar to these.

Originally, I had a piece of tape on the bottom of each bottle to remind me which kind of oil was in each bottle. Now that I have a Silhouette machine, I took this as an opportunity to try out some glass etching. I bought all the supplies from Amazon (vinyl, transfer paper, etching cream, etc.) and used a couple different websites for the details (see this one and this one). Follow the link below the screenshot to get the file I used in Silhouette Studio. It's for personal use only- please don't use it for commercial ventures. I measured my wine bottle beforehand to determine the right size.
If you're more of a canola/corn oil user, I made one of those too.

Download the file for Silhouette Studio
I rinsed the cream off after about 5 minutes and wasn't sure that it worked. It's sorta hard to tell until you take the vinyl off. To be safe, I repeated a second time. After rinsing the cream and removing the vinyl, I was thrilled! The vinyl produced very clean lines and the bottle looks awesome.









No comments:

Post a Comment